Sigma Kappa’s Beta Mu chapter began as a local sorority called Omega Delta. Founded at Culver-Stockton College on February 26, 1926. Omega Delta was welcomed into the Grand Chapter of Sigma Kappa the weekend of April 18, 1947. In doing so, Beta Mu of Sigma Kappa represented the first international sorority at Culver-Stockton College. The occasion included formal pledging in the parlors of Wood Hall on Friday. On Saturday, April 19, 1947, formal chapter installation in the L. L. Culver Gymnasium (now Herrick Hall), performed by the Sigma Kappa national council officers.
The chapter resided in a home formerly occupied by a dean of the college. In time, that house was relocated and placed to adjoin a house situated on property donated to Culver-Stockton College by Frances Clough, creating the original Clough Hall. Following the Flood of 1993, this building was deemed unlivable, and the chapter temporarily relocated first to the Dean’s House in Canton, and later to the top floor of Johnson Hall. In the spring of 1994, Culver-Stockton broke ground on the current Clough Hall, and the chapter moved in in 1995.
In 2017 the ladies of Beta Mu celebrated their 70th anniversary of being on the campus of Culver-Stockton College. Many alumna came back to visit Clough hall and meet the active members and other Alumna of Beta Mu. The women of the past and present gathered for many fun events during the Homecoming weekend at the college.
Today, our sisters are still in Clough Hall and there have even been recent updates to the house, thanks to our wonderful Alumna! In the summer of 2017, the kitchen was renovated, and it is now a highlight of Clough Hall!
The members of Beta Mu are involved in many other clubs and groups on campus. There are ladies in: theatre, student government, Phi Eta Sigma Freshman honor society, mock trial, track and field, bowling, and many more! We take scholarship very seriously in Sigma Kappa. Beta Mu has a cumulative GPA of 3.453 for the spring 2018 semester!